Thursday 6 August 2015

Windward Hat - FO, a WIP, and the Stash-Down


A finished hat!  It's Windward Island from Babycocktails' Tiki Collection.  I plan to knit the whole collection.  Perhaps by Christmas but deadlines are not my friend in the world of knitting, so we'll see.  The hat is lovely, the yarn was fantastic to work with.  I'll definitely be using it again.  When I'm done using my stash.

Speaking of stash, I bought this yarn to make Sous Sous, which I realized wouldn't really be fore me as I saw other FOs on Ravelry.  It's now going to be Dansez from Amy Herzog's first book Fit to Flatter.  I have it from the library so will knit like the wind to get it done in August before I have to return the book.
I've just cast on the back.  I have a bit more done that you see here (a very, very small bit - like 2 or 4 more rows), but am confident I can get it done.  I've joined the Very Shannon Summer Sweater Knit Along to motivate myself.  The idea is to knit a sweater in time for the start of fall.  Which, here in Canada, comes sooner than I'd like to think.  The sponsor is Brooklyn Tweed.  I love their patterns and yarns, but cannot afford the yarn (sigh) and am determined to only knit from my stash for a very long time (or until it's almost gone).  I've said this before but am determined this time for a variety of reasons:

- need to declutter, and am committed to having what I need on hand, and not spending on yarn that I love in theory but don't have time to knit or the impulse of the pattern passes (or both)
- need to spend less and use what I have (in all areas of life, not just knitting - read from my bookshelf, cook from my pantry...)
- commit to the purchases I've made and follow through 

So off I go to knit a sweater by the end of August.  And yes, this is the same blog I joined the KAL for the Lorelai shawl that is almost but not quite done.  It will be finished by the end of September.  I hope.


3 comments:

  1. yes, us too, read from my bookshelf, cook from our pantry/freezer/fridge, knit from my stash and my patterns.
    Can't wait to see your sweater - I have to try her fit to flatter - usually I have trouble fitting my sweater for my narrow shoulders but big bust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book has a lot of advice about fit, and about what size to knit. And how to modify each part of a sweater. It's worth a read. I got the book from my public library, so you could try yours!

      Delete
  2. Deadlines are not my friends either!
    I'd rather have a beautifully finished hat that was 'better late than never' than a scruffy, slapdash product because of an arbitrary date on the calendar.

    How are you going with the stashdown? Like you, I've given myself a stipulation that I use stash first but have had to make exceptions for items that have been ordered for sale where a specific yarn was necessary. Fortunately, the sales justify buying that yarn.

    I love your ambitions to spend less and use more of what you have. It takes discipline and planning but I know you have the determination to get there.

    You wrote this in August 2015. I am keen to know how you have fared now it is almost August 2017. I guess I will need to catch up on all of your blog posts to discover the answer! :-)

    ReplyDelete