Sunday 31 December 2017

VK35

I enjoy knitting because I like to make my own clothes.  I like to knit garments and accessories.  I don't like to knit baby items, household items, or toys.  I've tried, but none bring me a sense of satisfaction in the way knitting my own clothes does.  I grew up in a household where clothes were made (mostly sewn), and I've inherited that interest in sewing.

More importantly, I've inherited an interest in fashion from my mother who studied textiles and design at university.  She taught Family Studies (Home Economics, then) at secondary school with a focus on sewing and even taught courses on fashion design.  She made fine tailored clothing out of fabric that was purchased on 'road trips' to nearby cities with textile mills, or in large stores in Toronto.  My interest in clothing is not just about frugality or slow fashion; it's from the idea that I can quite literally create my own sense of style.

Vogue Knitting magazine serves as an inspiration point.  Many items, as knitted or styled, wouldn't fit in to my wardrobe at first glance.  But the trends, colours, styles and ideas from the runway serve as inspiration for me.  In 2017 the magazine celebrated 35 years.  As a Knit-Along, a Ravelry group hosted a VK35kal.  The challenge:  knit an item from at 2017 issue AND at least one item from an issue ending in '7' (e.g., 1997, 2007).  I don't have a large back catalogue, so choosing patterns to knit was a bit difficult.  I joined in quite late with two projects:

From 2017:  #1 Sleeveless Turtleneck  knit in Berroco Vintage Chunky


From 2007:  a free pattern, Charming! Cape by Vladimir Teriohken



I'm not sure... I love the turtleneck, it's my style, my fit.  The cape is a stretch outside my comfort zone.  It's knit in super-bulky (and super economical) Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick, which is what the pattern calls for.  I'm leaving it for a bit to see if I'll wear it... if not, it will be frogged and re-knit into something else.

The challenge motivated me to rethink my wardrobe from a fashion viewpoint.  I don't want to "Knit All the Trends" (no thanks, neon from the '80's - did that first time around!), but I do want to be current and to push myself to wear things that are not just a remake of a previous thing.

So off to plan 2018... and to peruse the VK magazines I do have to see what might come next!  More on that to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment